beauty pageants

>> Monday, March 17

Would you be proud of your fellowmen, or should I say woman, after this...?



While waiting for the video to load, read the following transcript I got from Jinky Bagagnan

Host (Paolo Bediones): Janina, how are you?

Janina: I’m fine.

Host: All right…

Janina: Yes

[directs a sickeningly sweet and plastic beauty queen smile to the audience]

Host: (cont)… so you won two of the major awards - Best in Long Gown and Best in Swimsuit…

Janina: [smiles her beauty queen smile; tries to look humbly complacent but succeeds only in looking rather constipated] Yes [She seems exceedingly fond of the word Yes, huh?]

Host: (cont)…Do you feel any pressure right now?

Janina: No, I don’t fill any pressure right now.

[Nah, that’s not a misspelling; that’s exactly what she said though she probably meant “feel.” And if you want to know how she recited this statement, read it the way you have been taught to read poems when you were in elementary school: put the stress on every other word. That is to say, emphasize the following: No, fill, pressure - you get the gist? Don’t forget to over-enunciate, too. That’s a definite requirement. Oh, and smile the sickly smile afterwards]

Host: Confident! All right! Please choose the name of a judge!

[At this point, Janina again bestows the world with her beauty queen smile then inclines her head regally (?) towards the audience. When asked to pick a name from the lot of judges, she pouts prettily then pastes on - there really is no other term for it - her smile once again]

Host: We have Ms. Vivian Tan.

Ms. Tan: Good evening.

Janina: Good evening!

Ms. Tan: The question is: What role did your family play with you as candidate to Binibining Pilipinas?

Janina: Well, my family’s role for me is so important. Because there was the… they’re… they was the one [you should see the look on ms. Tan’s face: it has a petrified quality to it and there’s a telling flicker of the left eyelid - it seems she can’t believe what she’s hearing and seeing] who…se [crowd roars] very Ha Ha, Oh, I’m so sorry. My pamily, my family, Oh my God [Ms. Tan finally yet good naturedly chuckles; crowd roars] I’m, [Paolo Bediones: That’s Ok] Ok, I’m so sorry, I, I told you that I’m so confident, eto, ahm, wait, aha ha ha ha ha ha [her laughter is a bit hysterical; the crowd roars once again]. Ahm, Sorry guys [the camera pans to the other contestants on stage; the ladies were obviously but unsuccessfully trying to suppress their mirth; they were giggling a shade too bitchily, perhaps, but who can blame them for being glad, huh? After all, they’re in a contest with Ms. San Miguel] because this was really my first pageant ever. Because I’m only 17 years old [camera pans to the judges’ table; it shows Ms Tan still widely smiling but the petrified quality to her smile is back. obviously she’s still incredulous ; the judge seated beside Ms. Tan is openly laughing at this point] and Uh ha ha I, I did not expect that I came from, I came from one of the TAFF 10 [she meant that she can’t believe she made it to the TOP 10], hmm [the hmm sound she made as if to convince herself and the crowd; really; listen to it and you’ll agree], so, but I said DOT [DOT = that; Ms. Tan and the judge seated beside her are still smiling but their smiles indicate that they don’t find it funny anymore; the guy judge’s eyes are downcast while Ms. Tan’s is fixed on Ms. San Miguel; it seems they have now started to accept the fact that they have in front of them a contestant who “came apart at the seams” in an incredibly grand way during the Q&A portion] my family is the most important persons in my life, thank you.


Age and not being confident are not good excuses for not being able to speak grammatically correct English AND not being able to answer correctly (that judge's question was WHAT role her family has not HOW IMPORTANT their role is!). Now why did she win? I sure would like to know why.. to think she's going to represent the Philippines... hahayy...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP